Most of my family got together this year for the 4th of July. We spent part of the weekend in Vancouver and the other part in Portland. Caden and I went to Yakima the week before to visit my sister, Kathy, and her family. They live in NY and I haven't seen them for almost 2 years! Caden liked his cousin Nathan who he met for the first time and started saying "baby" to him. It was cute, but it made me laugh because Caden is barely beyond a baby himself. On Friday, everyone in Yakima went down to Vancouver and we had an early 4th of July celebration since Kathy was flying out on the 4th. Clint drove up after work on Friday with his dirt bike. He went dirt biking with some of my family early Saturday morning.
Highlights from Yakima:
Movie night with the girls + Caden. They watched "Annie" and Caden was up front and center. I think he liked it because Annie has red hair.
Helping Grandma C. pick cherries
Eating with cousin Nathan
"Feeding" the ducks
Kathy, Nathan, Jen and my mom at the park

Kathy and Nathan. I had a hard time getting a picture of Kathy because she was trying to avoid the camera when I came near.

Saturday afternoon we had a BBQ with everyone. We also had a pinata which we have every year. This year I volunteered to make it and I understood half way through making it why no one else volunteered. It's been a really long time since I've made one so I had forgotten what the process was like. It really wasn't that bad, but just annoying to put a layer of newspaper on and let it dry and do it again the next day (8 times). The pinata was a peanut M&M. He didn't last too long since none of the kids were blindfolded. Usually my mom takes charge in blindfolding the kids, but everyone just kind of forgot about it this year. We also had "BJ the Clown" come visit and do a show for the kids. He was actually much better than I thought he would be and was good entertainment for everyone except Caden. Caden thought it would be more fun to explore the garage and open and shut doors.
Highlights from Vancouver:
I almost forgot to mention the potato gun that Tyler made. It could shoot a potato hundreds of feet.
The "M&M" pinata before he was busted to pieces
All of the cousins. If you look closely I'm in the picture. I can't believe my nieces and nephews are outgrowing me already!
Caden's turn at the pinata. He wasn't too interested in trying to hit it.
"BJ The Clown" and Charlie
On Sunday we went to Portland and had a 4th of July celebration with more family, Brent, Darcee, and the kids. Cousin Keith was the only one daring enough to hold a lit sparkler. Cousin Cole and Caden were scared of any kind of fire and stayed far far away. However, Caden did enjoy throwing pop-its. In the morning we went to the Zoo. Caden didn't seem too impressed by the polar bears or monkeys. I thought he would be more interested in the animals, but maybe he is still a little young to enjoy it. Perhaps next year!
Highlights from Portland:
Throwing pop-its
Cole, Keith and Caden stepping on pop-its
Keith showing no fear with the sparkler
8 comments:
I can't believe you made that pinata! It looks way better than a store bought one.
That pinata is super awesome. It looks professionally made! Looks like you had a fun 4th. We live in a pretty amazing country.
Happy Independence Day!
Nichole
I have to agree, that pinata is so impressive! The last time I BOUGHT a pinata, the hole wasn't big enough to shove candy in!! So next time, I'm recruiting you to make one =) So you look so cute in that pic with all the nephews & nieces... I actually had to blow up the pic to find you haha. And tell your mom she looks so good.. that woman just never ages! Good Connell genes I guess =)
I know everyone's commenting on the pinata, but it's awesome! Good job. How fun that you got to see so much family. You had a really busy holiday! You look great, by the way.
I am so impressed by your awesome pinata skills--it looks like it was professionally done. Looks like you guys had a great fourth of July--Caden is lucky to have so many fun cousins to play with!
How cute that Caden liked to throw pop its! The poor kid was forced to sleep through the Connell family firework extravaganza!
OK so I can't believe the red hair! SO CUTE!! I love reading about the things he does since they are like Gabe...since they're so close in age. I wish they could play!
Wow, great job on that pinata! It looks like y'all had a great time. I love that your nieces and nephews are surpassing you in height, that's really funny to me:) (Speaking of funny, I'm always laughing out loud at the stories you tell about Caden.)
Post a Comment