Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving and Pumpkin Pie

We spent Thanksgiving in Vancouver/Portland this year with my family. My parents came down to Corvallis Wednesday and spent the day with us. I was in charge of bringing a pumpkin pie and fruit. I've never made a pumpkin pie before (I've made pies, just not pumpkin), and I don't know if I ever will again. I wanted to try a certain recipe which seemed good, but my mom was telling me I should make a different recipe which she knew was good. I decided to be stubborn and stick with the new recipe no one had ever tasted. I think I was setting myself up for disaster by trying to make something I've never attempted before and with a recipe no one I knew had ever tried before. Well you guessed it, the pie did not turn out. There were two major errors... 1. I added twice the amount of butter in the crust, and 2. I undercooked the pie filling. The edges of my crust were starting to burn so I pulled the pie out of the oven before anymore damage was done. The filling seemed like it was set enough to me, but I was definitely mistaken! I made the pie Wednesday night and Thursday morning I decided it was not set enough and needed to make a new one. Clint ran to the store and picked up another pie pan (I only had one), and I made my mom's recipe. This time I made the crust right and the filling set! I don't even know if it tasted good because I never tried any. There were too many other good looking pies I wanted to try.


The grandkids playing a game where they had to dress up like a turkey.



Taking a brief break before finding more trouble.


Trying to wake up Grandpa Connell from a nap.

Steve and Krista hosted Thanksgiving at their home which they just moved in to a few weeks ago. We had a nice dinner and my dad shared the story of the first Thanksgiving. Caden spent most of his time trying to get through the barricade we made in front of the stairs. He can go up them just fine, but he doesn't understand how to go down. He would get through the barricade when all of his older cousins would go running up or down the stairs. This happened about every 2 minutes.

Over the holiday we also got to see Steph and Aaron and their new little baby Carter! He was so cute and had tons of dark hair!
Plotting on how to get up the stairs (the chairs were blocking the stairway).


Now begins the countdown to a busy month starting with Caden's birthday, then Christmas, and then our anniversary.




5 comments:

Jeff and Nichole said...

Another busy month! That's alot of fun days to look forward to. Can't believe Caden is turning 1. A year is such a long/short time.
Too bad we'll miss you at Christmas. Guess you guys will just have to come to Texas! just kidding. :)

Sara said...

How fun! your pie story made me laugh. That kind of happened to me this week - I was supposed to take a meal to a family in our ward and I had great hopes for this new cookie recipe. I ended up just giving the cookies to them, but when I tried them later they were not good. Sad.

Betsy said...

Looks like fun. I didn't know your friend Steph had a baby. Thats fun you got to see each other.

Heather said...

I can't believe he is going to be 1--where did the time go! Looks like you guys had a great time. Also, I don't know what it is about new recipes, but they always fail when I am making them for other people!!!

Katrina said...

It looks like you had fun and that Caden keeps you busy! Congrats on one year coming up for him, that's exciting. So do Steve and Krista live in Yakima?