Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Outside"

Caden and I have been spending a lot of time outside lately. The weather is pretty off and on as far as the rain goes, but there have been some super nice days in between. Caden just says a few words, mostly "uh oh", "hi", and "bye bye"(accompanied by an enthusiastic full arm wave). His newest word lately is "outside", which he says now quite frequently. Out of all the words he could be saying he chooses "outside"! Of course! Why not? The kid loves being outside and would probably live out there if I let him. I have to be careful now how I use the word "outside". I have to make sure I let him know we're going in the stroller or going in the car and not use the "o" word so he isn't mislead. I don't know if it really helps to not use the "o" word because he still puts up a pretty good fight getting into his car seat and stroller.
Speaking of outside...a couple of months ago I learned a very important lesson on not making assumptions! I was at the neighborhood park pushing Caden in the swing. This older man, probably in his 60's, came up to the other swing and started pushing a 5 year old boy. He asked me how old Caden was and we chit chatted a little bit. I thought that the little boy must be his grandson so I asked him if he was. BAD IDEA. The boy was his SON. Ha! I felt like an idiot after that but just kept pushing Caden. He didn't seem to mind so it must happen to him often. The thought had even crossed my mind that I shouldn't assume it's his grandson, but I thought by their interactions they didn't really seem like father and son. Anyway, so this week I was at the same park and I noticed he was there again. I was trying to avoid him, but of course his son comes right up to Caden and starts trying to play with him. After talking to the dad shortly, I was relieved to find that I don't think he remembered me. Whew! I won't make that same mistake again.

On another note, last weekend my bro-in-law, Tyler, took a few family pics for us. We haven't ever really had a good pic of the 3 of us.



11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Super cute pictures!

Funny story about the grandpa/dad.

Hailey said...

Julie! Look at your adorable family! Of course you would have a redhead! :) I stumbled across your blog after seeing Stephanie's link on Facebook...long story...anyway...I'd love to catch up and not be simply a blog stalker. That's just creepy. ;) My email is hhonsing@gmail.com

Hailey Honsinger (Decoto)

Sara said...

I LOVE the family pictures! you all look so great!

Kristen said...

GREAT pictures! You all look fantastic. And that happened to my old co-worker once. She got asked if she was the grandma. She talked about it for MONTHS! Good thing this guy just let it slide.

Bryce and Leanna said...

The last one is my favorite, but they are all really cute pictures!! Caden is getting so big, I can't wait to see you all again.

The Francis Family said...

Your family picture looks great! Also, great job on your duatholon! That's pretty intense! Caden is getting so big! You will love that he likes the outdoors as soon as the weather gets nice! It makes a big difference for us!

Jeff and Nichole said...

Somehow I'm not too surprised Caden likes the outdoors considering his parents. I'm glad you guys seem to be doing well. See ya.
-Jeff

Aaron and Steph said...

Jules I love these! Such a cute family. Ha. I wonder if my dad has ever gotten that! At least he IS a grandpa, so he has no right to take offense =) Corvallis looks so beautiful right now..

Darcee said...

Cute pictures! We are desperate for some family pics. Good for you for getting some done!

Brittney said...

Such cute pictures! You all make such a cute, happy family!!

Cami said...

Hey Julie-I don't mind if you read our blog. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.